Life in the Midst of Corona Virus

by My Onni You

It’s been 53 days since we had the first case of coronavirus but have you ever wonder how we cope with our daily life in the midst of the Corona Virus?

At first, it was just a small number of infected people but after a month the numbers started increasing. A member of a church went to participate in church activity and from there the virus started and been spread widely. As of March 11, there are 7,800 cases in South Korea and 61 deaths with over 200,000 people being tested. 90% of the numbers of infected were from Daegu who has been members of the church.

I live in Seoul, at this moment we have 219 cases of infected and on the district where I live we have 8 cases. As the number increases our fears started to grow. We started worrying about our daily lives and for our family. This coronavirus is not a joke and we should take it seriously.

From February 21 up to now, my son wasn’t able to go to daycare. To avoid the virus we refrain from going outside unless we need to do some important thing. We limit our time going to the supermarket, what I do is I list all I need to buy and buy it as fast as I can so we can avoid the crowd. If we can’t make it to the mart, Korea’s online shopping and delivery are very efficient and reliable so we don’t bother about our needs.

emergency alerts

We also received emergency alerts from the government and daily reminders to wear a mask, wash our hands often and sanitize. Aside from that, we also washed and cooked our food well. Take a bath and change our clothes every day.  We should learn to have proper hygiene to avoid or stop the virus from spreading.

The government is also sending goods and some necessities, especially for needy people. To avoid the hoarding of masks, the government made a policy of 2 masks per person with the 5-day rotation mask distribution. This is where you can buy only 2 masks per week and you can only line up to buy on the designated pharmacy and the day of buying depends on the last digit of the year you were born. My son was born in 2016, so I need to line up and buy during Monday and my husband and I were born in 1985 and 1975, so we need to buy masks on Friday.

playroom

To avoid the boredness of my son, I made a small space where we can play and study. My son always asks me when he will go to daycare. He always tells me that he misses his friends and teachers. It’s really different when kids go to daycare or school, play and meet their friends.

This corona outbreak made our life so different, we’ve been staying indoor for 53 days and a few more days it will be 2 months already. But life must go on, there are still different ways to enjoy our life in the midst of coronavirus.

Different Ways to Enjoy Life in the Midst of Corona Virus

1. Play with our kids
  2. Read our favorite books
  3. Clean up the house
  4. Learn to cook since everyone is at home and you need to feed them from breakfast to dinner
  5. Watch movies with the kids
  6. Korean drama marathon
  7. Discover new hobbies like crochet, DIY painting, diamond beads making, cross stitch and others

I feel scared for my family but I know and I believe for the capacity and consistency of the Korean government to fight the corona outbreak. I know it will end, we should just learn to cooperate with the government. Stop pointing fingers and blaming each other, learn to follow the rules, don’t go panic buying, think about others too, help when you can and pray.

Follow @myonniyou for the latest update:
MY ONNI YOU
INSTAGRAM TWITTER FACEBOOK

Don’t forget to subscribe/ follow our blog to get updates on your email about our new post.

You may also like

13 comments

Amy March 14, 2020 - 9:07 am

I enjoyed reading your article and shared it with one of my Facebook Kdrama groups. Please stay healthy and continue sharing with us!

WanderWoMom March 26, 2020 - 5:58 pm

but in your end ba naka lock down kayo? dito day 10 pa lang yata or 11 pero waah i miss going out. yun lang wala ako gastos now kaya its a good thing na din. hope everything heals na soon. prayers for your family.

myonniyou March 27, 2020 - 6:53 am

Hindi kami lockdown though walang pasok yung mga bata because of the virus.
Nakakamiss lumabas so once a week about 10 to 15 minutes naglalakad kami sa park. Kailangan open space para may social distancing.

Wendy March 26, 2020 - 10:10 pm

we’re lucky we live here in SK. I trust the government and the effort its doing. and Yes, there’s so many things we can do:-)

Nica March 26, 2020 - 10:30 pm

Here in our place, it’s been a week since the government implemented the enhanced community quarantine and my son keeps telling me to go out. What more yung almost 2 months. Good thing we have lots of books to read and toys to play with. Nakakapanood din ako ng Korean drama kapag di ako nakawork or kapag tulog ang anak ko. Basta yung free time. Keep safe and your family mumsh!

Hazel Salcedo March 26, 2020 - 11:33 pm

What I applaud about the korean gov’t is that they do mass testing! That’s very important to be able to trace the carriers and contain them. Grabe din pala noh… ang bilis 2 months na pala since 1st case sa Korea. Here in the Philippines, wala pang 2 weeks but most people are so uneasy at their own homes already. And cases are just getting higher and higher each day. 🙁 Really praying for everyone’s safety!

Karla March 27, 2020 - 9:17 am

I love how the Korean government is handling the situation. Mapapa-sana all ka na lang talaga. I hope the Philippine government do the same. Mass testing, not VIP Testing. Also, kahit madaming budget ang gobyerno, di pa rin lahat nabibigyan ng relief goods.

myonniyou March 27, 2020 - 9:27 am

Demanding kasi mga tao dito pagdating sa ganyang bagay but in a nice way, they demand but they follow rules, kaya naman nagagawa ng governemnt yung work nya. Lam mo na mga koreans perfectionist, competitive, and TRANSPARENCY ang goal nila this time.

clang March 27, 2020 - 10:55 am

Yung sana matapos na lahat ang mga nangyayraring dulot ng corona virus! More than a week na quarantine dito sa Pinas, namimiss ko na ang lumabas ng bahay!

Alexine March 27, 2020 - 10:15 pm

Thanks for sharing your insights, as of now Europe is also struggling on how to handle pefectly this situation. South Korea has been pretty impressive, hopefully, this will end. You take care and your famiily as well.

Christian Foremost March 28, 2020 - 9:28 am

I’m really amazed at how organized Korea’s approach is in dealing with this crisis. Our government back here in the Philippines is just really frustrating. I do hope that as we stay home and support our frontliners as much as we can that these trying times will be over soon.

Janella March 30, 2020 - 11:40 am

Picked up a lot of tips from here. Thank you! Very informative post. :–)

Adam Belda March 31, 2020 - 7:11 am

Kahit saan hindi na talaga safe noh? Pero grabe ang galing ng Korea to recover patients na infected. Some of the YouTubers are really amazed how Korea is doing things for this virus to replenish. Hope you are all good there!